12 ☆ kicked out the garden of eden

 


My darling, someday you will fall in love.
It might be when you're a teenager - fresh-faced, uncynical, the unbruised flower who has just discovered Spring. My heart glows when I imagine that for you. The smiles you secretly share with the mirror, the delight in the every day mundanity. I hope to God that, when I get to watch you grow up, I get to live through your strops with you. That it isn't fair that I've asked you to wash your dishes up or how it should be your turn to use the bathroom - But there's something very twofaced about being in love, baby. There's joy in knowing how they take their tea, so you enjoy making it. There's a rush that comes when you breathe them in, so borrowing their sweatshirts when you've forgotten to do the laundry isn't so bad. I can't wait for that for you.

I always thought that love should come with warning signs.
Don't stand too close to the edge, it's a fucking long way down. Don't look directly at the sun - by the time you get your vision back, you won't know where you are or how you got there. Don't tie yourself up in them too tightly because you will not be able to get out. If you're going to sup with the devil, use a long, long spoon.

But we all hope that our children grow up to be the better versions of ourselves. We hope that the growth we have done as adults is theirs by right, so they don't have to do the same soul-searching, the same tearing themselves apart to see if there is a better way that they can put themselves back together. I hope that you aren't scared of love, that you don't have warning signs. I hope that you don't plan an end-date - that you throw yourself in with glee. I hope that you don't need to jealously guard your space. I hope that you do all of the things that I have never been brave enough to.
When you fall in love, I hope it is the same exhilaration that comes from freewheeling downhill on a bike. Dance outrageously, sing loudly, laugh raucously. Live. Live and live and live.

And when the time comes, I hope you love Love.

Lady Like | Ingrid Andress